Pesky Pests and how to deal: Fungus Gnats
Second to Spider mites, we are most often asked about fungus gnats. They are common and incredibly annoying but they are treatable!
How to be rid of them: Fungus gnats love laying their eggs in wet soil.
- The best way to get rid of them is first to remove the top three inches of soil, discard it and replace with fresh soil.
- If your pot has drainage holes use a piece of fabric to cover the holes so the gnats can’t fly in but water can still flow out.
- Then get some pheromone traps and add them to affected plants.
- Alternatively, place a carnivorous plant in the area.
- Lastly, allow your plant to dry out a little more between watering.
How to prevent them:
- Don’t over-water your plants.
- Water from the bottom allowing the plant to soak up water through its drainage holes.
- Replace the top 2” of soil with sand or fine pebbles.